Thursday, August 02, 2012

TCM's Summer Under the Stars

Hi everyone,

© Turner Classic Movies)
Is Melissa's Kitties turning into Movie Central? I don't watch movies all the time, I swear, but August is one of my favorite months of the year--movie-wise. Every August, Turner Classic Movies celebrates Summer Under the Stars, dedicating each day to the films of a single movie star. I think TCM created this festival just for me since that's pretty much how my brain works: If I see a good movie with a good actor in it, I need to see all of that actor's movies as soon as possible. In August, TCM makes that easy! As an extra treat, you might fall for another movie star you've never noticed before!

Here are some of this month's highlights:

  • August 2: Myrna Loy -- She rocks in everything! The Best Years of Our Lives and The Thin Man are two of my favorite films.
  • August 4: Marilyn Monroe -- As a kid, I worshipped Marilyn, so any movie today is good in my eyes. See The Prince and the Showgirl, Some Like it Hot, and The Seven Year Itch.
  • August 5: Claude Rains -- He's got the voice. Now, Voyager! (with Bette Davis, who I love) and The Invisible Man are both great!
  • August 7: Sidney Poitier -- He's got class. See Paris Blues (with Paul Newman, the coolest of the cool) and A Patch of Blue too! 
  • August 8: Rita Hayworth -- Did you know she was a fantastic dancer? Check her out with Fred Astaire in You'll Never Get Rich and You Were Never Lovelier. (She was supposedly his favorite dance partner. You'll see why.)
  • August  10: Lionel Barrymore -- It's Mr. Potter! Find him in You Can't Take It With You for a good laugh and Key Largo because it's awesome.  
  • August 12: Ginger Rogers -- Swing Time has my favorite Fred and Ginger dance in it. Stage Door offers some great acting from a starry ensemble cast--including Katharine Hepburn, Eve Arden, and Ann Miller--and a good cry. 
  • August 17: Katharine Hepburn -- You can't go wrong with this lady, but I'd recommend Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (with Sidney Poitier) and Bringing Up Baby (with the great Cary Grant--and a big cat). 
  • August 22: Jack Lemmon -- You can't go wrong with this guy either. Today, I'd recommend The ApartmentYou can also catch him in Some Like it Hot, which is being shown on Marilyn's day, August 4).
  • August 23: Gene Kelly -- You know how I feel about this guy. Wish him a happy 100th birthday, take the day off, and watch all you can! Or: Assuming everyone's seen An American in Paris and Singin' in the Rain, I recommend On the Town (Gene's personal favorite)Cover Girl (with Rita Hayworth), and Inherit the Wind (an excellent drama with two of my other favorites, Spencer Tracy and Frederic March--not too shabby!)
  • August 29: Ingrid Bergman -- See Gaslight and Casablanca because TCM host Robert Osborne would tell you they're Essential.

TCM should really hire me, don't you think? Get into your pajamas, make some popcorn, and enjoy!

No comments: