Sunday, May 18, 2014

Humans of New York

Hi everyone,

It's been hard for me to get into another book since finishing Quiet. Spring weather has snapped me out of the winter doldrums and set my brain on overdrive. Unable to sit still to read for any length of time lately, I picked up Humans of New York by Brian Stanton, a book of photographs that my friend Anastasia gave me for Christmas.

This beautiful book celebrates Mr. Stanton's fantastic and hugely popular blog of the same name. For years, he's been exploring one of the world's greatest cities and taking amazing portraits, catching moments in the everyday lives of New Yorkers. This book reminds me of the unparalleled diversity you'll find in New York, which is home to people of all ages, nationalities, and personalities. While other cities may share similarities, you see things on the streets of New York that you won't find anywhere else. Better yet, native New Yorkers typically pay the unusual no mind; after a quick glance and shrug, they just go on their way.

Luckily, Mr. Stanton is on the job with his keen eye, sharing what he finds with the rest of us. He brilliantly captures the energy of the city through the eyes of its inhabitants. Each photo is typically paired with a short caption about his encounter – a sliver of a story that effortlessly prompts the viewer to imagine the life beyond the image. Who needs fashion models when the people next door are so ordinarily beautiful and intriguing? From a book that took me only a couple of hours to flip through, I heard hundreds of emotional tales from all walks of life.

This book celebrates human connection and the variety that life has to offer with all its wonderful eccentricities. Pick up Humans of New York to be inspired with every turn of the page. You may never look at passersby the same way again.

Best,


2 comments:

Anastasia said...

So glad you like the book! I follow him on FB and am touched, happy...saddened by the stories of real human life!
I might have to get a copy of the book too!

Melissa Connolly said...

Thanks, again! Yes, I think you'll like it! It's a good book for anyone to have on the shelf. My dad even flipped through it while he was here and really liked it too. :-)