Tuesday, October 18, 2022

A Season for Bill Russell

 Hi everyone,

I know it's been a long time. Rest assured, I'm still here, but transferring my blog posts to a new platform has felt like a never-ending task. Don't worry, I will get there! I am trying to resist posting too much here in the meantime, which adds more posts for me to move later. I realize this is probably not the best overall strategy: It feels like a vicious circle.

But I had to break through today to honor Boston Celtics legend and all-around great human being, Bill Russell, who died July 31. I decided to wait until today, as the new Celtics season opens, to mention it because I think all efforts the Celtics put forth to win the championship this year will largely be in his honor.

Bill Russell not only made history breaking records as a Celtic – leading to 11 of their 17 championships during his 13-year career – but he did even more off the court for civil rights – from standing with Martin Luther King, Jr., to more recently taking a knee for social injustice. I could list all his historic accomplishments, magical moments, and well-deserved honors here, but you might be better served to read up on his lifewatch video interviews, or enjoy memories shared by friends and colleagues to more fully to understand why Bill Russell is the greatest of all time. Discover why he became a mentor to every basketball player he reached, why the NBA retired his number across the league, why President Obama honored him with the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2011, and why his laugh is the best laugh in the business. 

Bill Russell inspired so many who continue to build his legacy. With him in mind, the Celtics continue it tonight with renewed energy to raise banner #18. 

Go, team!!!



No comments: