Thursday, February 24, 2011

I am reading!

One of my new year's resolutions is to read more. Something about living in D.C. prevents me from picking up a book from the piles on my floor and tuning out everything else to focus on it. I keep buying books and planning to read them, but they just get dusty. I only read when I'm on a plane or at home visiting family. When I'm in D.C., I always have drawings to do, yoga class to attend, movies to watch, Lily to play with, and whatever else to distract me.

I just got around to starting my reading resolution this week. Even if I only read 10 pages a night, I tell myself, I'll at least be chipping away. I added an "I am reading..." section to my blog sidebar. I figure posting it here will remind me to keep going.

The first book I picked up from my floor selection is Paul and Me: 53 Years of Adventures and Misadventures with my Pal, Paul Newman by A.E. Hotchner. I was crushed when Paul Newman, one of my most favorite people on the planet, died in 2008. (The Kitties were too, see?) He was somebody I was always happy to see anywhere, anytime. I miss his thoughtfulness and wisdom, his charm and class, and his jokes. I ran out to buy this book as soon as it was published last year, but I resisted starting it: Written by one of his best friends, I thought I should savor what I was sure would be an honest account of the man. And, I also dreaded the imminent sad ending.

After spending the holidays in Ohio, I came back to D.C. and returned to my routines. I nearly tripped whipping around the corner from the kitchen when I heard a snippet of Paul Newman being interviewed on PBS Newshour. The report was about Newman's Own food company, which just celebrated hitting the $300 million mark in proceeds given to charity, proving that Paul's philanthropic efforts have outlasted him.



Robert Redford said that the world was a better place with Paul Newman in it, and I think he's right.

So, a year after I bought it, I'm finally ready to open the book. It might take a while to finish, but I'll let you know how it is when I do.

Look for a new book every once in a while if I can keep this up! What are you reading?

2 comments:

4mastjack said...

We're in the same club! I made the exact same new year's resolution to read more. So right now I'm reading Gene Wolfe 'Shadow & Claw' (originally published as two separate novels, 'The Shadow of the Torturer' and 'The Claw of the Conciliator.' Two more followed, and now all four are lumped together as 'The Book of the New Sun.') SF/Fantasy recommended highly to me by the lovely Helena Mickle, saying Gene Wolfe was as great and re-readable as Patrick O'Brian. Have you read either? What kinda stuff do you usually go for?

Melissa Connolly said...

I haven't read anything by either of those authors. In fact, I don't think I've read any science fiction before. Thanks for the recommendations! I'm not sure if I have a particular kind of book that I go for, but I guess I like historical fiction most. I love Isabel Allende, but then I also love Nick Hornby, who is completely different. I like autobiographies and I also have lots of Richard Feynman books on my shelf. I'm sort of all over the place. When I went to the library in Ohio, I always headed for the New Books cart and randomly selected one just based on the synopsis on the jacket. Amazingly, I seemed to have pretty good luck. So far, the book about Paul is a good one too.