Thursday, April 07, 2011

Who is Arthur Rimbaud?

Hi everyone,

I meant to start reading a new book sooner, but I didn't want to interrupt the Meet the Kitties series. Check out my new Meet the Kitties page!

So, I pile up nearly as many magazines on my floor as I do books. Since finishing Paul and Me by A.E. Hotchner, I've read through my stack of magazines, which included British Harper's Bazaar, Vanity Fair's Hollywood issue, Total Film, and Real Simple. (Vanity Fair always takes me weeks to finish reading. Do you have the same problem, or is it just me?)

Now that that pile is gone, I am about to start reading A Season in Hell and Illuminations by French poet Arthur Rimbaud. I must admit that this is a Johnny Recommendation. Last year, Entertainment Weekly published Johnny Depp's list of essential movies, music, and books. (Thank you, Entertainment Weekly!) While I don't run to the bookstore every time Johnny mentions a book (which is often), I bought this one because 1) I had Borders credit to use up, 2) you can't really go wrong with a book of poetry, and 3) how can I deny such a glowing recommendation?

Along with Charles Baudelaire's The Flowers of Evil (which I've also never heard of or read), Johnny calls Arthur Rimbaud's A Season in Hell and Illuminations "possibly the most divine writings in the history of the world." I'll take it.

This book is only about 100 pages. I decided to read it now, thinking it'll be a quick, easy read. But it's probably the kind of book professors choose to study in class for an entire semester. And, considering it's taken me more than a week to get through the 8-page author introduction by translator/editor Wyatt Mason (I've been sleepy!), this one might take me a while.  Here goes....

No comments: