Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Fluid

I haven't been able to stop thinking about fabric since the mention of this week's Illustration Friday word. I waited a few days for something else to pop into my head, but Kate Moss has taken over.

Last summer, I traveled to New York to see the Alexander McQueen exhibit, Savage Beauty, at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. (I remembered seeing some of his fashion shows on TV when I was younger. His show was always considered a major event during London Fashion Week.) I figured the exhibit would be interesting....I didn't imagine that the line to get in would wind through all other exhibits leading up to it. But, it was worth the trip and the wait: I never expected to be so moved by seeing a bunch of clothing. And, apparently, it's still all in my head.

That's how my "Kate Moss (Mother) Kitty" showed up this week. (In her day, The Mother Kitty was the fairest of them all.) One of my favorite parts of the Savage Beauty exhibit was peering through a waist-high slot of a black wooden installation and discovering a hologram of Kate Moss floating in billowing fabric. Rather than strips of cloth, her dress looked like frothy clouds, trickling waterfalls, or fluid watercolors.... Here's our salute to however he created that fantastic work of art.

Fluid (February 17, 2012)
(Illustration Friday: February 17, 2012)

You can find on YouTube a version of the hologram against a plain black background, as it was at showcased at The Met. It's restricted from playing on my blog. So, instead, here's the real thing: The finale of Alexander McQueen's 2006 Fall/Winter collection. This is better, right? I mean, don't you wish you were there, marveling in person?

Enjoy!

© Alexander McQueen

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this! Especially the odd coloured eyes and the ravelling folds of fabric. Fantastic!

Melissa Connolly said...

Thanks so much!